$20,000 Prize Awarded to Alex Nagy in Refugee Crisis Film Competition
The world is facing a global refugee crisis. The conflict in Syria, combined with millions fleeing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as well as in countries in Africa, has brought the number of refugees to a tipping point. We, as Canadians, and as global citizens, must do something to help.
Frank Giustra and the Radcliffe Foundation, in collaboration with the Vancouver International Film Festival, launched a competition urging filmmakers to produce a “Call to Action” short film up to 60 seconds in length that educates, inspires, engages, and empowers Canadians to take tangible action on the crisis. Decided by the public through social media, the winning film was announced by Frank Giustra at the Opening Gala of the 2016 Vancouver International Film Festival. Alex Nagy received the $20,000 prize, and a screening at the Vancouver International Film Festival, for his film Helpful Hand, which will be played in Cineplex and Landmark theatres across Canada for the month of October. You can watch his film, and see photos from the event, below.
Submissions were short listed by a jury comprised of notable names in the philanthropic, entertainment and media sectors including:
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, Public speaker, Advocate for Women’s issues and former television host
- Sarah McLachlan, Award winning Artist, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist
- Honourable Louise Arbour, CC, GOQ, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and former Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Craig Kielburger, Co-founder of Free The Children
- Ivan Fecan, Executive Chair, Thunderbird Films Inc., and former Canadian media executive
- Atom Egoyan, Acclaimed Canadian Director
- Frank Giustra, President, Radcliffe Foundation and CEO, Fiore Group of Companies
- Ryan Holmes, Founder and CEO, Hootsuite
- Nicolas Moyer, Executive Director, Humanitarian Coalition
Along with Helpful Hand, the three finalists also included Michelé Hozer & Roxana Spicer, Show the World and Zeeshan Parwez, Humanity.
Alex Nagy’s Helpful Hand – Winner of the Vancouver International Film Festival & Radcliffe Foundation’s Refugee Stories Competition
The three finalists included:
Show the World – Michelé Hozer & Roxana Spicer
Humanity – Zeeshan Parwez